Thursday, June 7, 2012

the evolution of a nursery

Literally the day we found out we were expecting a boy I started working on the nursery...wait a minute, that's a lie.  I had been cleaning out the 'nursery' weeks before we found out so that I could work on it as soon as we found out the sex.  Jason has always wanted to do a sports theme but my mindset was that we're both very active and athletic that chances are Jack will play sports anyways and will likely want his room to be sports (I figured when he's getting his big boy room we can make that change then).  I convinced Jason to keep Jack's room 'baby-like' by doing a nautical theme.  I had always liked the 'Baby Boats' from Potterybarn Kids but I remembered getting a catalog last summer with another nautical themed bedding in it that was red, white, and blue....I was instantly in love.  Here is a link to see it from their site....freeport bedding  Of course it was discontinued- that's one bad thing about PBK and PB, they have a crazy fast turn over rate.  I do love that their catalog will suggest Benjamin Moore paint colors that will coordinate with the look of the room.  I went to the local Ace Hardware and picked up Misty Blue and Old Blue Jeans and we painted a little on each wall to get a feel for the colors.  I was pretty apprehensive about Misty Blue because it was the top shade on the paint swatch and it truly looked white with a little blue in it.  But once we got the color on the wall it couldn't be more perfect.  We alternated the lighter blue and darker blue on the wall that the crib was going to go on for an accent wall.  I had just done a weekend babysitting job and made a couple hundred bucks so we just used that money to purchase the paint and supplies. That couldn't have worked out more perfectly!
Now, onto the furniture......
I had been lusting over the Potterybarn kids' 'Larkin' crib for YEARS.  One huge drawback....its $1000 plus tax, shipping, surcharge- because its soo big! Jason wasn't having it....not one bit.  So last summer I told Jason that I would work in the summertime to earn money to go towards it...that's how badly I loved this crib.  It's gorgeous I tell ya! So as I was getting paid from the school district I did a couple of little weekend trip babysitting gigs and ended up saving right around $1400.  I was super pumped....that should have been enough to get the crib....booyah!!! Well fast forward to the start of 2012 and Jason and I were literally about to hit submit on our PBK order when I get a call from my mom telling me that there is a couple selling their Larkin crib AND dresser with changing topper on Craigslist for $900- the crib was currently on sale for $699 but when you add the tax, shipping, and surcharge the total was $940....so right there alone we were saving $40 PLUS we were getting a dresser and changing topper (valued at $1500) for practically free.  We made plans to go check it out and it turned out that it was in great shape.  We brought the cash with us, brought straps to tie the stuff down and some blankets to protect the finishes of the wood.  Well they threw in a super nice floor lamp that they said was broken (after Jason went to Ace Hardware and $7 later it worked....woo hoo! that's a $159 lamp- thank you very much!), they also threw in two lamp shades (one pink, and one white with purple polka dots- at this point we didn't know girl or boy, though I had a pretty good feeling we were having a boy(we got the furniture in early January and found out boy on January 16th)), oh well, we'll just save them for when we do have a girl! They also gave us an end table that we currently have in the manroom/gameroom.  We really cleaned up shop! All of that for $900, plus I had saved that money on the side so our bank account didn't feel a thing! here is a link to the crib and dresser.... dresser with topper, and Larkin sleigh crib. 
I also had the idea of using real oars for the curtain rods in his room....though I had no idea how hard of a time i would have finding the perfect ones! Gander mountain had 6 ft ones but as it turns out, we needed 5 ft. and they didn't carry that length so I went to trusty 'ole amazon.com.  If I thought finding oars was hard, I had no clue how hard it would be to find hardware to hang those oars.  Finally after weeks and weeks or searching, I found some at The Container Store.  I really like the way its looking in his room; its all coming together so nicely!!! We registered for these curtains, and we've already received one panel from Jason's grandparents! *ETA: at my school shower I received a gc to PBK so we now have both panels.
My parents blessed us with the glider and ottoman from Babies R Us.  We registered for a tan microsuede one and it was delivered about a month ago.  Though I would like to Scotchguard it before we put it up in his room.  It looks very nice and is really comfortable, which I'm excited about because I have feeling I'll be spending countless hours in it with Jack.
Pics of his room to come....

No comments: